Starshar wrote:

By the way, don't try lowering your iron using phytates from foods such as soy or whole grain cereals. Do this, and you'll not only be getting phytates, but a whole host of other undesirable anti-nutrients such as lectins, enzyme inhibitors, and glycosides that can interfere with vitamin B6 and vitamin D absorption. In rodent studies, IP6 supplements protect against cancer, but no such protection is seen when the little critters are given an equivalent amount of phytate from cereal grains.

Thanks! I had not seen the above info at all. I just started IP6 a day or two ago. I HAD been upping my intake of grains for the phytates, while waiting for the IP6 to get here (took two weeks!). I do plan to keep donating blood, as long as I 'm acceptable to the blood services people. It can take 4or 5 years to lower iron by dietary/supplement means, and I don't want to wait that long, nor do I think it would be a good idea for me to wait that long. But I will keep checking ferritin levels as often as I can ("often as I can" may be only once a year, but I hope I can get it done again in Dec after my second blood donation. I have to say I felt so great the day after giving the blood that I can hardly wait to donate again.
sol