That is only one reference, and a very old one at that.  I have been following
this for some time, and there are quite a few experiments that support this far
fetched notion.  What is interesting is that very little if any high energy
particles are released in these types of experiments, and one of the things that
is being explored is why.  Some think that the energy is carried off as
phonons.  I am very well versed in chemistry, and was a nuclear instrumentation
engineer for over 20 years.  This stuff does not follow the generally accepted
theories (as does CS according to doctors), but there is conclusive evidence
that "cold" transmutation does take place.

A few examples:

Radioactivity reduction patent issued to CETI patent #4,316,786, 5,318,675,
5,372,688, 5,607,563
Thorium Transmutation by the Cincinnati Group (Infinite Energy Vol3 #15 page 23)

More Evidence for transmutation by the Cincinnati Group (Infinate Energy Vol 3 #
15, page 18)
Alchemy The first Gold rush (Infinite Energy Vol 3 #15 page 94)
"Sufficient positive results have been obtained to have obviously whet the
appitite of serious researchers like professor Bockris and Dr. Barruy Merriman.
("Cold Fusion and Modern Alchemy" by Eugene Mallove)
The Transmutation of ore by Robert Nelson (Rex Research PO Box 19250 Jean, NV
89019)
Transmutations of silver to gold by Robert Nelson
The Ohsawa-Kushi Transmutations by Rober Nelson

There are hundreds more but this should suffice to show that there is a lot of
investigation going on in this area with positive results.

Marshall