Rowena wrote:
http://www.safersolutions.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=147&Itemid=133

Sodium carbonate is a mild alkali and can irritate the skin and eyes.
My husband just retired from 33 years working in a Trona mine. Trona is the ore from which soda ash is refined. Some people working in the mines here get raw open sores that can even scar badly. Most who are that sensitive don't work in the mines very long. My husband's work clothes would always be so saturated with the trona dust that it made the wash water slimy feeling.
sol