>From http://www.coconut-clinic.co.uk/newsinfo.htm :

"The Stability of Coconut Oil by R. Peat PHD

Unsaturated oils in cooked foods become rancid in just a few hours, even
in the refrigerator, one reason for the "stale" taste of leftovers.
However, according to Peat, eating fresh unsaturated fats is even worse,
because once inside the body, they will oxidize (turn rancid) very
rapidly due to being heated and mixed with oxygen. Not so with coconut
oil. Even after one year at room temperature, coconut oil shows no
evidence of rancidity even though it contains 9% linoleic (omega - 6)
polyunsaturated acid. Dr Peat theorizes that coconut oil may have
antioxidant properties, since the oil doesn't turn rancid and since it
reduces our need for vitamin E, whereas unsaturated"

 - Steve N

________________________________

From: Bethany Methven [mailto:mrs_ak_h...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:16 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>coconut oil and monolauren

I was wondering if anyone knows the shelf life of raw coconut oil?  I
have thought about trying monolauren for things at different times -
like impentigo, etc., but haven't had coconut oil on hand. If I just buy
some to keep handy will it last for a while?

Thanks - Beth

In Regards to:
According to some of the reports I've read, it is better to use raw,
cold-pressed coconut oil than to use the actual monolauren. The body
will get more usable monolauren that way. Amazon has the right stuff
here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-Oil-54-Ounce/dp/B000GAT6NG/
ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1229014346&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-Oil-54-Ounce/dp/B000GAT6NG
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1229014346&sr=8-1>
It's a bit like eating coconut-flavored crisco, but I understand eating
just a spoonful or two per day will help.

Cheers,
indi