Pauling died of prostate cancer.  It came out before his death that he was
taking 43 grams of C daily.  His research had demonstrated that the highest
dose of Vit. C that still demonstrated some benefit was 42 grams per day.
So when it was made public that he was taking 43 grams, everyone speculated
that he had cancer.  Turned out correct.   I can't recall all the sources
for that info, but I recall feeling sad about the 43 grams because I felt
sure he had cancer when I heard that.  He was admirable for his ethical
stands even more than for his accomplishments in biochemistry and other
fields.  imho    pj