Hi Steve,

I've had good luck with ~30 to 40 rpm in a pint wide-mouth jar.  The
length of the stir-bar can make a difference too; I go for ~ three
fourths of an  inch, maybe up to 1-1/2".  I get magnets from:

http://wondermagnet.com/

[a great site with all kinds of neat homebrew stuff & info]
and use the skinny 1/16" X 1/2" NdBFe pushed inside polyethylene tube,
and seal the ends.  YMMV of course.

Take care,
Malcolm