> why no salt or distilled ? what would happen?

I wager once the cloth bits are in your saliva, Georgia, it'll soak up
enough salt to be conductive, which is all you want. I suspect putting
anything more concentrated than normal (isotonic) saline on it would
tend to throw off the fluid balance of the tissues and stress things...
but that's just a guess.

The important thing is that moistening with tap water and just letting
your saliva keep it moist will work to establish and maintain
conduction of the electricity through the tooth and surrounding
tissues. That's all you're trying to do, send a tiny bit of current
through the area.

Using only 1.5 or 3 volts, it should be as safe as you can make it and
keep it simple. Switching the electrodes back and forth is changing the
polarity, which should also help limit stress to the normal tissues.

I'm glad you're sounding a little more focused and less desperate now.
Keep with it and let us all know if there is anything you need, please.

What part of the country/world are you in, by the way?

Peace,

Mike D.