From: MaryAnn Helland
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 12:58 PM
Subject: Fw: My last post on the topic

Some of the major national chicken processing plants in the US are
right here in Western Kentucky as well.  My experience may be
"miniscule" in your opinion, but we've raised chickens for three
different national companies -- Seaboard, Con-Agra and Pilgrim's Pride -
 - and were part of a network of hundreds of breeders and growers.  Due
to networking within the local and national contract growers
associations, we came in contact with and became friends with many of
the people who owned and maintained poultry barns, and have personally
been in many of those barns.  So my experience, in our part of the
country, is actually fairly broad.

Debeaking was discontinued many, many years ago.  And I've never even
heard of searing of the toes -- I can't imagine what would be so worth
accomplishing with that procedure, that the processor would make the
investment.

Your comment that debeaking makes for "messy eaters that contaminate
the feed and floor" made me laugh.  The *contamination* that you
referred to does not come from the front end of a chicken!  lol  And
chickens are extremely indiscriminate, as are most birds, as to where
their *contamination* lands.

Incidentally, water isn't a concern for *contamination* -- they don't
drink out of troughs!  Water lines are suspended along the length of
the buildings, along which retractable nipples provide fresh, clean
water when the bird pecks at the nipple, which is a little bit above
beak height.  There was a time when suspended water tubes (half-tubes)
were used, in addition to the water lines, for several days until the
baby chicks learned how to operate the nipples -- but that practice was
discontinued many years ago, when it was learned that the chicks
learned almost instantly how to do that.  I am not conversant on the
raising of Cornish game birds, but cannot imagine that they water their
birds in any less efficient fashion than the chicken industry.  And
efficiency is the name of the game.

The life-span of the birds is determined by market demand for size.  In
the chicken industry, the target is a four-pound bird.  This produces
the size of drumsticks, breasts, etc., that is not only normally
selected by the American consumer, but also by national chains like
Kentucky Fried Chicken, as their storage, cooking and serving equipment
is tailored to that size.  Chickens normally reach that size in 5-1/2
weeks.  And yes -- during that period of time they mostly eat, drink
and poop -- and sleep.  That's pretty much what chickens do no matter
where they live.  I think it's a real stretch to think that they have
any kind of *fulfilled* life experience.  But our chickens always
seemed pretty content.  They played, ran, had mock battles -- they were
pretty funny to sit and watch.

To the uninitiated, the smell inside poultry barns is unpleasant.  It
was something that I never got used to myself, but the operators of the
barns and the service personnel of the processors and the repair people
from various equipment companies -- all seem unbothered by it.  And in
fact, great sums of money are spent on elaborate ventilations systems
designed to evacuate stale air and replace with fresh.  Because you are
exactlly right -- chickens are extremely sensitive to ammonia, and high
ammonia levels negatively affect the cost/gain ratio  Fact is, birds in
high-ammonia level houses do not thrive.

Birds in high-ammonia level houses are in the hands of poor management
practices.  In our part of the country, the processors have a crew of
supervisors who visit every single poultry house a couple times a week
to check on the progress of each flock.  High ammonia levels are
discovered very quickly, and remedies arranged for.  A grower who
repeatedly has these problems finds themselves very quickly with no
birds to raise; and with no birds to raise, has no money to pay for a
huge mortgage obligation, and therefore either gets in line with
quality practices, or sells their operation to someone who will.

Oh -- by the way -- the breathing apparatus you referred to?  It's
primarily to protect the lungs of the people in poultry houses from the
dust laden air.  By the time chickens reach adult size, there is dust
from the floor, dander from the birds, as well as feathers -- all
floating freely in the air. This is exacerbated during the winter
months, when the cooling systems for the barns are not in operation,
but rather heating systems which dry the air as well as warm it, thus
encouraging the dusty atmosphere.  The water (mist) of the cooling
systems helps to keep the dust levels down during warm weather months.

Regarding crowded conditions in the houses:  on *catch* night (always
done at night to prevent panic in the birds), the birds are herded into
one corner of the house (this is to facilitate catching).  ALL the
birds fit into 25% of the building.  At that point in time, they are
very crowded, but what that makes one realize is how much space those
birds usually have, i.e. -- four times what they need, and that is at
*catch size*.  Prior to that, they are growing into that space.  A
significant number of the people on this earth probably live in more
cramped and limited conditions than chickens in a poultry barn.

You are correct that chicks are vaccinated.  Their *placement* feed
contains an antibiotic.   This is for about the first four days of
their lives, and then is discontinued.  They are not fed antibiotics
thereafter, unless a particular problem arises in an individual house,
or farm.  But this is uncommon, because chicks are placed in houses and
for the rest of their lives, do not come into contact with chickens
other than their birth flock.  The possible cross-contamination of
barns is prevented by strict bio-security regulations.  An outbreak of
disease is the result of a violation of those regulations.

You are also correct that the entire industry is profit-driven.  What
else?  How would you induce people to work, or companies to invest,
without that?  And it's entirely due to that mind-set that every effort
is made to provide clean, bright healthy houses for the chickens to
grow in -- because that is how they reach their prime body weight in
the desired period of time.  Anything less is counter-productive.

I also had a chuckle at your comment that the chicken's legs are
"slammed into the clamps".  Nowhere else in your post is it more
obvious, the emotional and derogatory slant of your opinion.  Come on
Malcom -- there's nothing *pretty* about the food-producing industry.
You can demonize it, if you want to, but the fact is it's necessary --
most people aren't vegetarians.  I don't hold any illusions about the
compassion of corporate executives who are far removed from the
actuality of it, but every other aspect of the business is handled by
ordinary people -- most of whom like animals and do their very best to
treat them well.  Including the kill-line.  A chicken's life is ended
in a matter of seconds.  It doesn't get any more humane than that.

Oh -- one other point -- our "small time operation" produced an average
of 400,000 chickens per year. Over the 13 years we were in business, we
raised in excess of five million birds.  Not too "miniscule".