I hadn't planned on posting on this but given the recent interest in
iodine maybe it will be of interest to some.
I ran across some interesting patents regarding iodine. I provide links
to the patents at the end of this post. Many have difficulty getting
access to sufficient iodine at a cost they can afford. This can be a
problem particularly to those with cancer where daily doses of up to 100
mg of iodine are recommended. The patents show that when an iodide and
an iodate are taken together, the hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the stomach
converts the iodide and iodate to molecular iodine (I2). In the
following discussion, I will be referring to potassium iodide and
potassium iodate forms of iodine. This is because both are readily
available in Reagent grade via eBay and a liquid form of potassium
iodide, known as SSKI (Saturated Solution Potassium Iodide), is also
readily available from multiple sources. I was able to get 100gm of
potassium iodide and 25gm potassium, Regeant grade, on eBay for about
$40.00. This will provide enough iodine for over 3 years of iodine at a
dosage of 100mg per day.
To summarize the patents briefly: When potassium iodide and potassium
iodate are ingested in the ratio by weight of 3.8:1(iodide to iodate)
the iodide and iodate are converted to I2 with a conversion efficiency
of up to 100%. Many believe that it is best to have both potassium
iodide and I2 in the bloodstream since each is utilized differently in
the body. You can achieve any ratio of iodide to I2  you want simply by
increasing the ratio of iodide to iodate  (i.e. 4:1, 4.5:1, ...) the
extra iodide is not converted to I2 and remains as potassium iodide.
The inventor tested his hypothesis in two ways. First, he combined the
iodide and iodate, added them to simulated gastric acid and verified the
conversion of the two to I2. Secondly, he fed the combination to mice
and confirmed the presence of I2 in the tissues of the mice. In all
cases, the amount of I2 in the tissues equaled or exceeded the I2 found
in the tissues of a control group of mice given an equivalent amount of
Lugol's.
Much of the patent relates to making a compound of the two iodine's that
is stable over time without conversion to I2. To do so the compound must
have a pH of 8 to 11 preferably. You can do this by using baking soda or
calcium bentonite as the medium for combining the two. Both are readily
available and have a pH of around 11. Personally, I don't think it is
worth the trouble unless you need to put the iodine in capsules. If you
already use SSKI, just keep a so;ution of potassium iodate in a dropper
and add the iodate to the SSKI to get the desired ratio and amount of I2
and potassium iodide you want.
To calculate the amount of iodide and iodate in a specific amount of the
two you need to consider the actual amount of iodine in the compounds.
Potassium iodide is 76.5% iodine and potassium iodate is 59.3% iodine.
I know this is confusing but I hope you can understand the explanation.

Patents:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5885592.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6248335.html

 - Steve N