On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 18:51 -0700, Gina Moore wrote:
> I just made my first batch of CS.  I used store brand distilled water coz I
> haven't hooked up my DI unit to my RO yet.  It had this whitish stuff in it
> - looks to be slimy, but haven't actually touched to see if it is.  Is that
> normal?  Is this first batch not good?

I'm not sure what you're asking; is the whitish slimy stuff something in
the first batch of CS you made?  If that's what you mean, the white
stuff is probably silver oxide - if the water was good distilled.
Silver oxide is not a problem, you can let it settle out to the bottom
and pour the rest off, or not even worry about it.

But I've no idea what kind of CS maker you have, so can't say anything
really. . .

As far as the D-I cartridge goes, it comes After the RO unit; so the
water goes into the RO unit, comes out of the RO unit and goes into the
D-I cartridge and after you let it run for a few minutes, like maybe 2
or 3, that's the water you want to use for making CS.  Mine is set up so
I have a little valve under the sink, so when I want water for CS I shut
off the little valve where the RO water goes into it's storage tank,
then open the valve that comes from the D-I cartridge and let the 'RO
plus D-I' filtered water run into the container I'll make my CS in.
That does take a little extra plastic tubing and stuff to set it up, but
it's not something to describe over the net for a beginner to do, so get
someone local who can understand what you're trying to do and who can
set it up for you.

Take care,
Malcolm