Hi Shelley, Bonnie, and all,
I see your discussion regarding sprouts and bacterial contamination.  It is
true that any food which is nutritious & moist, like sprouts, can provide an
ideal culture medium or environment on which for bacteria, if they are present,
to grow.  However, organisms like Escherichia Coli and Salmonella, if present
on sprouts, most likely got there due to mishandling & processing in the
commercial process.  Those organisms originate constantly in meat, milk, & egg
products.  They are not too likely to be a problem in your home processing.
Just don't handle sprouts after handling meat products, etc.
But I see a question about using CS to rinse seed before sprouting- if it will
kill bacteria which may be present.  In my work as a Medical Technologist, I
have had the interesting opportunity to evaluate the 'kill power' of various CS
Solutions on the most feared pathogenic bacteria, including Staphylococcus
aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Pseudomonas aerugenosa, Proteus mirabilis, as
well as E-coli & Salmonella.  We have found that a quality CS Solution at only
5 PPM will kill all pathogens that we have tested so far in an exposure time of
15 to 30 minutes.  In other words, if you would let alfalfa seed or mung beans
set in a CS Solution for 30 min., you could rest assured that all bacterial
contaminants were killed.  For most situations, 15 min. would do.
Using CS Solution this way for various fruits & vegetables is also wise these
days.  Things are not now as they have been.
We have been reading CS list for close to a year and enjoy it.  If anyone out
there would like to have their CS Solution tested for bacterial kill Titer (
dilution at which it still kills the microbes), just e-mail us for a phone
number. God Bless-, Bill