I tried the protocol again - this time with a new Ultrasonic cleaner. It
worked beautifully! There was no visible separation after sitting overnight.
I did the baking soda test because I hadn't read Brooks's email yet and just
by luck, it barely foamed at all, so I was satisfied and drank it
immediately.
I repeated the protocol (after reading this newer post) in the original
ultrasonic cleaner but sure enough, although the mixture looked
encouragingly milky, it began to separate within a minute and by about 10
minutes has a thick dark yellow layer on the bottom. So, I don't know why
this first U S cleaner does less well, but it does. So, I'll use the
replacement cleaner and make the excellent encapsulated Vitamin C. I don't
understand how these machines actually work or why this would happen.  -Gail