Hi gang,

I just want to tell any new folks and remind others that there is a
strict size limit on messages that will be accepted by the mailing list
software. This is part of what protects us from transmission of mal-
ware, among other measures.

The limit is only 18k. Now, by today's standards of bloated e-mail
formats, that's miniscule, but if you set your mailer to send simply
PLAIN TEXT, you can send messages that are several pages long quite
easily. It does, however, severely restrict the sending of graphics and
other attachments. So if you have fancy formatting turned on and a
lovely background stationery selected, you're likely to not be able to
get a message through to the list without changing a setting or two.

The symptoms of this problem? You should see your own post reflected to
you by the list server as it is sent out to all the members, usually
within a few minutes at most. If you are consistently *NOT* seeing your
messages posted to the group, nor getting any responses from other
members, then it's a good clue.

Nearly every mail client program or web mail service gives you an
option to send plain text. You'll have to search the menus, Options, or
Preferences to find it. Another place they sometimes hide it is right
in the controls for the e-mail composer or editor window.

If you have this problem and need further assistance, you can contact
me directly at the e-mail address that's in the footer of every message
sent by the list. There is no size limit on what you can send me
directly, so I will receive it, and be able to answer you within a day
or two depending on the level of insanity I'm dealing with it my life
at the moment. <grin>

Peace,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner