Sounds like you are on the right track.

Yes, the current matters.  If you try to raise the electrodes up to the
highest they will go, you will see that the cs will turn gray and have
fallout by the end of a long run.  By keeping the electrodes nearer the
water surface, the cs stays clear.  The lower your electrodes are to the
water, the more current you will draw, but the less current density as the
water will cover more of the end of the hanging wire.  The more current you
can push, the more electrode surface needs to be in contact with the water.

The electrodes seem to become black when the cs is not very strong.  Using
seeded ds, my electrodes will not get much black on them.

Yes, the water will heat up.  I get up to 120 or 125 degrees F.  Stirring
the water will cause the temp at the surface to be less, and the cs will
tend to be clearer, but slower brewing.  Also, the deeper your rectangular
electrode, the deeper the surface temp stratification, the lower the surface
water temp.  The depth the the rectangular electrode is part of the temp
regulation.  Temp is, of course, a factor in the conductivity of the water.
Too hot, such as pre-heating the water, will tend to produce a gray cs with
fallout.

Sounds like you have a balance that works.  If you don't get fallout I
wouldn't change anything.

Jim