Hello Sarah,

> A couple of more questions.................someone told me that the CS that
> you make yourself was not any good. Now, abviously there is quite a question
> there because everyone on this list seems to make their own.

The stuff I am making is as good as what I was shelling out large
quantites of cash for :-).  Truthfully I do not know what the PPM value
is, but it tastes like the commericial stuff to me :-).

> I am not at all
> familiar with the process involved in making CS, so please excuse my
> ignorance.

<grin> we all started here, not a problem!  There are many patient and
helpful people with experience here who are glad to share.

> But is it possible to make it incorrectly?

I am sure that there is a way to make it incorrectly, but if I pay
attention to (in my case) the time and current flow, the CS seems to be
consistant (taste wise - I don't have a way to meter it accurately
yet).  Once I got distracted and left it run overnight, it was pretty
obvious from looking at the glass, that was the only stuff I have thrown
out so far.  I'll leave someone else to comment about this in detail.

> As I understand there
> is a machine that you can buy to make CS for about $50, is that correct?

Yes, there seems to be quite a range of price for these, many ways to do
it and many claims to each method.  I'm still undecided as to what is
ultimately the best method, but people seem to be using the most basic
LVDC (Low Voltage Direct Current) method with great success.

> Someone had mentioned making your own machine??? How is that done and where
> would one get the materials and (ingredient) to make the CS?

For the LVDC method, it is pretty easy, three 9V batteries and a couple
of alligator clips and two pieces of .999 fine or better silver wire and
you are off to the races :-).  This is what I first built and it worked
fine.

9V batteries aren't cheap, so I have upgraded to a power supply that
plugs in the wall.  I am still questing to find the "best way" to do it
and about to try LVAC (?) Low Voltage Alternating Current - using solid
state parts - with an H-Bridge and a small (very!) computer.  Apparently
many ways to go here and to be honest, I am too new to this to know if
it is actually *really* necessary to go beyond the basics, but I also
like to tinker :-) :-).  Mostly what I want is something that I can set
time on and eventually *maybe* correlate that to a given PPM and then
turn off.  This is my big problem at the moment, I have other things
happening and I forget it and end up with pretty strong stuff - not bad,
just not consumable, but good for topical applications with the
exception of the one I left running all night (overnight).

Most of the parts can be found almost anywhere.  The one critical
element, of course, is the .999 fine or better silver electrodes.  I am
using .040 wire that I got from a jewelry supply store, but there is
someone here on the list who has some and will (has?) parted with it for
cost.

For whatever it may be worth, it seems to me that what I am making for
fractions of a cent (at very least a gallon so far) is every bit as good
as the stuff I paid $40 for a tiny bottle of.

> Thank you for your time and patience

Hope this helps!  As has been given to me by the list members
(information and encouragement) so I try to return the same when I can
:-)!

Take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, Net/Sys/WebAdmin SeaStar.org,
vikki.oz.net