I haven't tried it but I don't know why not.
- Steve N

________________________________

From: Dianne France <dianne_fra...@hotmail.com>
To: silver-list <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed Sep 30 01:44:51 2009
Subject: RE: CS>Extraction Methods for Peperine

Is it possible to make with without using the microwave?  Can you use a toaster
oven or regular oven?

Dianne

________________________________

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:18:21 -0500
From: stephen.nor...@ngc.com
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Extraction Methods for Peperine

Just FYI. Some surprisingly easy methods for extracting Peperine from black
pepper from http://www.curevents.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25598
<http://www.curevents.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25598> .
 - Steve N
"Black pepper, by itself, is not a very efficient way to increase the uptake of
curcumin. Piperine makes up only about 3% mass (dry) of the pepper. The
breakdown of the pepper material will also cause a lag in piperine
availability. Extraction is neccessary.

I have a great deal of experience extracting piperine using househould items
and have 27g of pure yellow crystals sitting on my desk at this moment. Here is
how I do it.

Microwave(*1) ~100g of crushed black pepper spread out on a plate; make sure
you have a small glass of water also in the microwave to prevent feedback to
the magnetron. Shake this microwaved pepper in a mason jar with either
denatured alcohol from a harware store or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol(*2) (IPA,
rubbing alcohol) for about 10 minutes.

You now need to filter out the solids from this mix. I usually make a two stage
filter out of the top half of a 1 liter water bottle, a generic cooking funnel,
and a few coffee filters.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5346/filtersetup1rt.gif
<http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5346/filtersetup1rt.gif>

Once this finishes filtering you can then evaporate the solvents off the
piperine by pouring the solution into a pan with a large surface area and very
gently heating it (I sometimes just let it sit without heat for a day or so
when lazy). This should leave you with a sticky yellow crystaline substance
with bits of brown gel mixed in (this brown is chavacine, responsible for the
smell of pepper). Scrape this mix up and disolve in acetone, filter again, then
recrystalize by either evaporating off the solvent or dumping the solution into
a liter or two of ice cold water.

This should leave you with fairly pure piperine.

(1) Microwaving black pepper in a non-polar solvent (or by itself) will tend to
cause cell rupture allowing for easier extraction of piperine.
http://rapidshare.de/files/6610631/Microwave_assisted_extraction_of_piperine.pdf.html

<http://rapidshare.de/files/6610631/Microwave_assisted_extraction_of_piperine.pdf.html>

(2) You can make dry IPA fairly easily. Buy epsom salts from a grocery store
and heat in the oven for ~15 minutes to drive off moisture. Put an appreciable
amount of now dry epsom salts into the rubbing alcohol and shake like mad for a
minute. Filter the mix and you should have pure IPA without water. It's best to
start with 91% IPA if possible but 70% will do."

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290>