  From: Brooks Bradley
  To: Silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:52 PM
  Subject: CS>Supporting Information: Liposomal Encapsulation Techniques

  Dear List Members,
  I have been somewhat remiss in not supplying additional information which
might make prosecuting an acceptable generation process....somewhat easier. To
that end, I offer a few elaborating comments.
  First, using some form of blender to enhance/accelerate the process, is
perfectly acceptable....and effective. However, one must understand the
limitations of using this modality. To wit: Because the entire encapsulation
process is, essentially, a refined homogenization process the researcher is
bound within the limits of the chosen process....itself. e.g. Using a blender
in the early stages of the ultrasonic type protocol, places a limit (especially
particle size) on the resultant compounds. As a general rule, the smallest
liposomes achievable...are going to be larger than 150 nm in size----even after
extensive aggitating. Therefore, if smaller particles are desired.....some
procedure must be invoked to achieve this. Ultrasonic energy is an excellent
way to achieve this. Ultrasonic energy applied to solutions having, previously,
been mixed using mechanical blenders (of the household type) will improve the
encapsulation process greatly (sometimes as m! uch as an order of
magnitude)through the immediate size reduction of the encapsulated particle
size. Additionally, both power levels and exposure time experienced from the US
energy......have a pronounced effect on the end product. e.g. simply by
extending the time exposed to the US energy will yield a product with a
majority of particles of a markedly reduced physical size (sometimes by more
than one-half). Also, by increasing the power spectral density [energy
delivered to the target], considerable size and complexity reduction may be
achieved. (sometimes from larger, multiple-layered liposomes, down to
single-layered liposomes of much smaller size). This one characteristic, alone,
should justify the selection of the larger US unit over the smaller one....as
the larger US power level output is much higher. The way to capitalize on this
advantage is to limit the depth of the parent solution in the larger US unit,
to 3/4" to 1". Because the distance from the US energy! source and the mass of
the target material DOES, in fact, have a powe rful effect on the delivered
energy. Direct visual observation alone, will confirm the powerful increase in
cavitation (energy field) of the liquid medium. This type innovation will yield
effects that in some cases....challenge the results of laboratory-grade, high
pressure (over 3000 psi) impact plate systems.....costing $10,000 and up.
  What most commercial producers (and labs) do, is they RECIRCULATE their
candidate
  solutions.....in order to achieve smaller----and more isolated----end
products. By extending your exposure time, using shallow solutions, DIYs
can...in many cases, actually challenge, to some degree, the levels
accomplished by these very high dollar commercial machines.....using their own
DIY homemade systems.
  Someone asked the question...does pre-aggitation via blending devices damage
or
  compromise the candidate solutions. The short answer is NO. Almost any type
of aggitation aids in the homogenization process.
  I have some descriptive information relative to the use of blending devices,
which may prove of use to the list membership, but I must go at this time.
  Sincerely, Brooks Bradley.
  -- The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing Colloidal Silver.
address your message to: silver-list@eskimo.com Address Off-Topic messages to: