Info from the semi ignorant ahead: [Do correct as needed]

The ion in ionized water is the OH [-] ion which IS the anion produced when making Ag [+] silver ions with electricity.
 An anion is an ion too.

Ionizing pure water with non reactive platinum electrodes [no metallic ions]..the Alkaline water is rich in OH[-] aka hydroxyl and the Acid water on the other side of the ion filter membrane is rich in H3O [+] hydronium ions. So alkalinized [made basic] and acidified [made acidic ] is both ionized, but with a different ion. [An acid has more H+ hydrogen for an overall positive charge and a base, an overall negative charge]

If you use salt, [NaCL ] the hydronium ion combines with the Chloride ions from the salt to make Hypochlorus acid HOCl and the hydroxl ion OH [-] combines with the sodium ion to make lye...sodium hydroxide NaOH [distantly similar to using swimming pool chlorine or formula 409 to clean out your pipes]

Hypochlorous \Hy`po*chlo"rous\, a. [Pref. hypo- + chlorous.]

(Chem.) Pertaining to, or derived from, chlorine having a valence lower than in chlorous compounds. <http://www.dictionary.net/searchbox.php?st=2&query=Hypochlorous%20acid&PHPSESSID=35385c7fbd41d03dea1d7e728cd3a104>Hypochlorous acid (Chem.), an acid derived from chlorine, not known in a pure state, but forming various salts, called hypochlorites.

So, putting a few crystals of lye in distilled water would be the same thing as *that* alkaline water, only a lot easier and cheaper than running an expensive machine with salt in the water. Various metallic salts will vary the results by substituting Calcium or Potassium etc for the Sodium in the hydroxide.

Running such a machine without salt will be very slow but you get nothing but the OH [-] ion and if the other electrode is silver, you get something that's actually useful on the other side, Ionic Silver. Or just run it without the ion filter membrane and make EIS which is both in the same water...and very oddly, pretty stable with a long shelf life even though some of the silver ions and hydroxl ions do produce silver hydroxide.
 But silver isn't a 'base' metal, like sodium.

Ode