Well dang. I'm so glad you got everything fixed:) I sent an email yesterday and got a pending notice, so I figured something was up. Thank you for letting us know what's what.

Annie

M. G. Devour wrote:
Hi everybody,

It's been an eventful couple of days for the customers of Eskimo North, the ISP that hosts our group for me.

Evidently the owner and principal operator became seriously indisposed a couple of weeks ago and, in all the chaos his family was dealing with, the business was surfing along pretty much on autopilot... until a bill didn't get paid and the upstream connection was abruptly turned off. <sigh>

Initially, there was speculation that Eskimo was simply gone, taking our data with them, but, happily, reports of its death were premature.

It took a couple of days to get things back under control, once the family realized what happened. The owner's eldest son is stepping in to keep things going, and has explicitly said there is NO intention to let the company go under. The connection's been restored, tech support got everything running again, and no data was lost. We have a reprieve. I have to admit, I've never been as happy to see a pile of 2000+ spam messages as when the mail server came back online this evening! <grin>

Nonetheless, it's given me quite an opportunity to start to examine our options and my recovery procedures.

One of the first things I need to do is move the mailing list addresses to the silverlist.org domain instead of eskimo.com, so that if I do ever have to retreat to another hosting service there won't be any sudden disruption for the members. Just point the domain servers at the new site and go. Then we'll have a measure of ISP-independance.

I'll let you all know when the list addresses are going to change, including some broadcasts to the distribution list directly from me, so that they'll bypass folks' message filters and alert them that they might have to modify their sorting rules and address book entries.

Another thing I need to tighten up is to make damned sure I have at least a weekly backup of the member lists... <ahem!><cough!><blush> (...brings up man pages for rsync, cron.)

Apart from that, I'm again looking at options for developing a web presence for the group, with the idea of integrating e-mail with searchable web archives or forums. I think technology has finally advanced to the point even I might be able to get it built this time.

It's early days on any of that, but at least the overwhelming responsibilities in other areas of my life are winding down enough that I can at last devote myself to being a internet geek for a while and get some work done on this.

So, thanks for your patience folks! Thanks, also, to Marshall and others who alerted me that we were down so I could get started working out a solution. What I learned I'll now be able to apply on a less urgent timetable.

Any questions, comments, or news, I'm here! Welcome back, everyone.

Peace,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner