I first sent this as Rich Text but it did not appear to post, so here it
is as HTML.

Marshall,

You are right that the amount of citric acid is high but I think it is
not as high as you indicate. As you noted before, you can only achieve
about a 285 ppm concentration of silver citrate in water. To get higher
concentrations, you need to have the silver citrate dissolved in a
citric acid solution and that is the reason for the additional citric
acid. In my first attempt at silver citrate, I used a 10 percent
solution because the following patent performed testing with solutions
of 1, 5, and 10 percent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6197814.html.
According to the patent, 400 ppm SC made with 5 and 20 percent solutions
of citric acid are stable during storage but with 1 percent it was not.
I had plenty of citric acid powder so I went with 10 percent for the
first try.

Next, I used a 5% solution, by volume, of citric acid dissolved in
distilled water for concentrations of up to 600 ppm. Measurement of the
citric acid was not critical since I used more citric acid than is
necessary.

Currently, I am using 1/8 cup for 2 liters water, which I think is in
the 2 - 3% range. I do it to keep the tart taste of the SC at an
acceptable level while easing the effort to make the SC. The solution is
stable over time too. I use a manual setup with no stirring.  When I
make the SC, I just cut the top off a gallon distilled water plastic
bottle to where I will have 2 liters water in the container and a little
additional height to prevent spillage. The separation if the electrodes
is determined by the container's width..Given, the conductivity of the
solution, I could use a wider container but there is no need to.

My earlier attempts with higher citric acid concentrations showed a
little formation of silver oxide on the negative electrode near the end
if the generation. With the current concentration I see oxide formation
starting just around the 200 ppm concentration. So I continue to use the
1/8 cup of citric acid to minimize the need to clean the electrode.
Also, the higher citric acid concentrations showed little or no current
drop off during the generation. At the present concentration, I do see
some drop off of electrode current. The current plus the silver oxide
formation  indicate to me that I might be getting around the max ppm for
the concentration. Remember that the patent indicated that 400 ppm at a
1% solution is not stable and that some of the citric acid is consumed
in the making of the silver citrate.

Just FYI:

If you use enough citric acid you can generate silver citrate solutions
to over 23,000 ppm. See Figure 4 in:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2590638/:

"Silver citrate is a white substance with a very limited solubility in
water. Under the normal physicochemical conditions, 1 part of silver
citrate is soluble in 3500 parts of water, which corresponds to 285 ppm
of Ag(I) ion in the solution [11]."

"Formation of silver citrate/citric acid complexed solutions was
investigated. Although, silver citrate is minimally soluble in water, it
can successfully be dissolved in citric acid solutions. The maximum
concentration of Ag(I) in solution is estimated at 23 to 25 g/L if the
concentration of citric acid is at least 4 mol/L or higher."

In the report above, the graph in Figure 4 shows how much citric acid
you need vs the ppm of the silver citrate. Please note that the graph
does not include the citric acid needed to create the silver citrate in
the first place so one will need to use more than is shown.

Regards,

     Steve N