Hi folks,

First I'd like to remind everyone that any message that deals
predominantly with politics that isn't directly related to CS or a
major alternative health issue, is almost certainly a prohibited topic
and should not be posted or responded to.

A number of recent comments on conspiracies, even straying so far as to
talk about the Federal Reserve, or the physics of the destruction of
the World Trade Center towers on 9/11/01, are clearly not appropriate
for the main list.

Please review the list rules which state quite clearly what is or is
not allowed, and why. See: http://www.silverlist.org

Although we happily escaped any breakdown in group harmony over these
most recent remarks -- Thanks to a wonderfully responsible group of
people, I must say! -- there's no reason for us to push our luck, or
strain the indulgence of those who do not wish to deal with such
distractions.

Next item: I've seen a severe spate of messages being bounced by the
list server for being over the message size limit of 18k. There have
been too many to respond to individually.

IF you post something and it doesn't come through after 10 or 15
minutes... especially if other messages are coming through... there is
a very good chance that it was too big. The list server will not post
them and will not give you any warning as to why.

The best thing to do is either a) trim some quoted text from your
message to make it as small as possible while still allowing enough to
establish context for your readers; or b) instruct your mail program or
service to send your message as plain text, rather than formatted.

You can easily post a dozen pages of plain text, or about a couple
pages of fancy formatted text. So, please limit quoting and/or send
plain text if you want your messages to get through reliably.

Lastly, in case I don't manage to say so later, I wish everyone who is
celebrating the present holiday season the best possible times with
those you care for and love.

Peace,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner