If you want to make lots of cs at one time, want control over the
process, don't want to baby-sit the generator, maybe this is for you.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and the example of the setup
below can certainly be changed to make a system you might like better.

I like to give cs away, and making cs with my 10,000 volt setup was
too time consuming when many people wanted cs in the same week!  So I
wanted to make a setup that would do a good job in more of a hurry.

The example below runs off household current of 120 vac.  For those of
you who would like to run off battery, you can bypass the ac circuitry
in the supply and use a couple car batteries instead.  For those in
the 220volt 50hz parts of the world, a simple transformer in front of
the power supply would suffice.  Etc., etc..

This is not a refined system which has been custom engineered for cs,
it is a slap-together setup from normally found stuff, so anyone can
do it anywhere.  And it works very, very well!!!!!
_____________

POWER SUPPLY:  voltage and current limiting, 0-35 volts dc, 0-1 or 2
amps continuous (not stated in documentation), 5 amp max.  Made in
Taiwan without a label so anyone can private label it.  Taiwan part
number:  Model: VAP-5A30V2.  This model is sold by CALRAD number
45-774.  It has a volt meter, ammeter, and pots to adjust limits to
each.  List about $230US, can get for $50 less with shopping.  Yes, it
is a bit big, but workable.  Voltage meter and adj. is just fine, the
amp adj. and meter need some help unless you use enough silver to use
about a whole amp of power.  I'm sure there are cheaper ways out
there, I just used this one as I was readily available with current
limiting built in.  [An alternative supply with current limiting on
board would be a small dc motor drive at a used electric place.  Even
some of the newer ones are pretty cheap.  A person would only have to
use enough electrode surface area to work within the range of the
drive.]

ELECTRODES:  This was simply a starting point, your setup may vary.  I
used 12 pieces of 1mm thick silver sheet 2 in. x 6 in. submerged 5" in
the water.  Use sheet at least this thick, because you cannot afford
to have a thinner sheet bending on you when you clean them.
Electrodes must be pretty straight and flat.  I arranged the
electrodes  like an expanded stack with 1.5" spacing with alternating
charges just like a battery.  Spacing is not very critical as I have
the ability to current limit, however, the larger the spacing, the
less small deviations in alignment and flatness of electrodes will
matter.  Also, the larger the spacing, the longer it takes to start
up, as the voltage is limited to 35vdc with this particular power
supply.  Each electrode must be spaced the same from each other
electrode.  File and polish all sharp edges, or you will get a lot of
fallout in the cs.

You can use different configurations, larger pieces (which I will next
time I order), more or fewer electrodes, different spacing, different
current limit point.  Even just two big electrodes.

ELECTRODE BURN OFF:  I have found that turning the setup on to "burn
in" the electrodes is of great help in reducing the high spots on the
electrodes.  Just set it up, crank up the amps, and let it run all
day.  The cs will have a tremendous amount of fallout, but after that
the electrodes will make a cs will little fallout.

ELECTRODE SOURCE:  I bought mine form Swest.  You can find them at
swestinc.com  .  If you order from them, make sure you tell them you
want accurate cuts.  My order came back with pieces that were not cut
very close.  I complained, and the manager called me up to apologize
and promise better service next time.  They will make any size you
want.

BATCH TANK:  I used a 10 gallon aquarium, filled half full.

STIRRING:  Stir, or you WILL have unhappy results.  Highly conductive
cs will pile up between some electrodes, and the current will not be
the same everywhere.  You will make very large particle cs without
stirring.  I use a regular fish tank filter pump without the filter.
I found some had an unprotected metal rotor, and some had plastic or
teflon covered pump rotor.  Obviously I did not want the exposed
metal.

POLARITY REVERSAL:  I went down to the local used industrial
electronics store and bought an old percentage timer for $5US.  It has
only a single pole relay, so I use it to drive a double pole relay to
switch polarity every 30 seconds.  If you don't switch polarity, the
setup will still work, but the electrodes are a real mess, fallout is
massive, etc..  Once fallout settles overnight, the cs is clear and
stable, however.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER:  5 gal of ds in the fish tank, hang electrodes
according to above, use alligator clips to connect each electrode to
the appropriate polarity, turn on circulation pump, PRESTO, you have a
monster cs maker.  I actually do not hang my electrodes, as I did not
want them flopping around with the moving water.  I used a plastic
rack to put on the bottom of my tank and put the electrodes in the
slots to hold firm.  Worried about the rack collecting fallout and
affecting current flow, but with a little care it can be done with
good results.  Or just hang 'em.

I limit my current to 200 milliamps.  I turn off at about 24 volts.  I
put my multimeter in line to measure the amps as the meter on the
power supply is not good enough for fine tuning this sort of process.
The process levels out at about 40+ microsiemens, and after a bit of
fallout overnight, is very clear and measures about 38 mS.  Stays very
clear in hard plastic (soda pop bottle), will get darker in soft
plastic (ds water bottle).

Inside the power supply, there is a pot that adjusts the range of main
amp adjusting pot.  I crank this all the way ccw, and it gives me a
bit less touchy amp adjust capability.  Need to install a 20 turn pot.

AUTO SHUTOFF:  Simpson makes a digital volt meter with auto shutoff,
not cheap though.  I have a Simpson digital amp meter with dual
contacts and programmable.  I can hook up to my ac input to the power
supply, and make the setup shut down when I read a low enough amp
draw, which will correlate to the lower watt output of the dc side
when the cs is finished.  Someone on  the list probably has a cheap
and easy way of accomplishing an auto shut off.  You could always just
use a timer to shut down, and when you get back (or wake up) just turn
the generator on the see how close you are to your intended voltage
output, run till done.

PREHEATING:  I have not, but with the current limiting maybe you could
for a faster startup, as it takes a couple hours to get up to .2 amps
without heating.  Others may have more to say on that.

So, I get 5 gallons in about 5 hours, very clear, 40mS, very stable
over a few weeks in a soda bottle.  Tyndall is weak after initial
fallout.  I have found that the process can be run longer or at a
higher current limit, but after the fallout the tyndall is still weak,
and the mS reading is still about the same.  There appears to be a
wall as to how much silver can be put into the water with low volt dc,
as others have mentioned on the list.  Anything more simple falls out.

The same amount of cs would take me 40 hours of run time in my CS Pro
Ultra generator, and I don't have the control over the high volt
process I have with this one.  I'm happy with the results.  You can
increase the surface area and run at 1.5 amps, or something like that,
and make cs in a real hurry.  There may be commercial value here, or
there just may be a greater benefit to your neighborhood.

Jim