Are you considering Magnesium Chloride that is specified as laboratory
grade and not just technical grade?  Here is a definition of grades from
a chemical supplier that defines laboratory grade:

" DEFINITION OF GRADES

Reagent ACS -- Meets or surpasses latest American Chemical Society
standards for purity.

Reagent -- Does not exceed maximum limits of significant impurities as
stated. Does not have ultrastringent requirements of Reagent ACS.

Laboratory Grade -- Equivalent in purity to United States Pharmacopeia
(USP) and National Formulary (NF) listings. However, they are not
offered for food, drug, or medicinal use of any kind.

Practical Grade -- Sufficiently high quality for use in many syntheses
and other applications.

Technical Grade -- Selected commercial grades, scrupulously clean, and
of reasonable chemical purity. Where usable, most economical grade and
suitable for educational purposes."

There is Magnesium Chloride used for de-icing roads and sidewalks that I
would be hesitant to consider for use. I would definitely want to see an
MSDS or assay for it.

 - Steve N