----- Original Message -----
From: James Osbourne, Holmes <a...@trail.com>

> HI everyone,

Hi,

Solution:
A homogenous mixture that remains mixed indefinitely.
Particle size... 0.01 to 1 nm
Will not filter out.
Will not reflect light (no Tyndal)

Colloid:
Heterogeneous mixture.
Remain dispersed by molecular motion (Brownian)
Particle size...1 to 1000 nm
Reflects light.

Ion:
(Physics and chemistry)
Atom, radical, molecule or aggregate that has lost or gained one
or more electrons.
(Biology and medicine)
The dissolved part of a solution (solute) which exists as charged
atoms or molecules.

> Once again, the issue of what is "dissolved", "ionic", or a
"charged
> colloidal particle" arises.
>
> Bruce does think the silver made by his devices has a positive
charge.  He
> does not think the charge is generated in the same manner as
the charge
> exists on a single Ag atom which is presenting its valence
charge.

There is no other way to create a positive charge other than
removing electrons that I know of.

> I believe when Bruce speaks of "ionic silver" he means a single
atom,
> dissolved in the water, with its outer shell receptive to
bonding with
> another atom.  A colloidal particle is positive, but not as
reactive as the
> monoatomic silver.

Pitty he does not speak *colloid science*.
Silver Colloid particles are agrigates of either single silver
ions (simple ions) creating complex ions, or simple ions and
metallic atoms which will have a charge lower than the former.
Monoatomic ions are reactive because of their size, multiatomic
ions are able to accept more electrons per particle.

> How the positive charge is created is not know by me.   Since
charge is
> quantatized(sp?)

Whilst an electron has a particular charge, the energy required
to remove or gain one is different in each element, and the
conductivity is therefore different also. The energy required to
remove a second electron is much higher than to remove the
first... an so on.

> , it means there is either a missing electron or an extra
> proton somewhere.   Or, something else?   Could an  ionized
hydrogen
> nucleus from the water be somehow stuck to the silver cluster?
I wish I
> could go back to school...

There is no need to complicate things James. The manner of
creating ions by electrolysis is well researched and straight
forward, if not fully understood.
One would need to add protons to create a positive charge, which
would create a different element? Hydrogen ions (protons) have a
positive charge and are unlikely to combine with silver (there
are no silver hydrides). They are more likely to be reduced at
the cathode as hydrogen gas.

BTW, the zeta potential of a colloid is a measurement of the
electrostatic repulsion between the charged particles and their
Stern layers (neutralising layer of water molecules which travel
with the particle) and the diffused layer, and derives its value
from the charge on the particle, and is measured chiefly by
measuring the particles mobility.

Confused?

> James Osbourne, Holmes

Ivan.