From:   Spiroflex [SMTP:spiro...@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent:   Friday, September 17, 1999 6:13 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        CS>Ions or not ions, that is the question

 << File: ATT00002.html >> Yesterday someone said to me, "If the CS that
you are taking is working for you, it is the silver in the CS that you are
taking that is being absorbed by your body, and giving you the benefit you
say you perceive, not the ions. The body cannot absorb ions. The body can
absorb silver. It is silver, not ions that is being absorbed into your
blood stream. Either the CS you are drinking contains silver as well as
ions or reacts with acids or whatever in your mouth or wherever in your
body and forms silver. It is silver, not ions, that is absorbed by your
body and goes into your blood stream and provides the benefit that you say
you are experiencing."  Any comments? PLEASE comment.

JOH:  Silver, like most, if not all metals, can be in a variety of states.
 A colloid is by definition a particle dispersed in another substance.  The
two substances can be in any phase except a gas in a gas.   When a particle
is not electrically negative, it is called an ion.  The nature of and cause
of the charge can be different.

My working definition of a charged silver colloid is a clump of atoms, not
a single atom, which has an electrical charge which is positive.  I do not
know how that charge is created.   Single atoms of silver is what I call
"ionic" silver.  I think this is much more reactive to the substances found
in the body, particularly when it is part of a silver salt, such as silver
nitrate.

        I believe that much CS contains some colloid and some "ions".  I think
the
better stuff is very small---0.5 to 10 nm (billionth of a meter, 10 to the
ninth negative power.)  Single atoms of silver are more likely to react
with other elements and/or compounds that a small positivly charged clump
of metallic silver.

1. Are silver compounds apt or not apt to be formed as the CS comes in
contact with whatever in the mouth or stomach? If yes, is this more apt to
happen with freshly made CS than CS that is a month old?

JOH:   All that I know about this is that when you drink silver, some of it
reacts with the hydrogen chloride normally produced in the stomach to
produce silver chloride; harmless in small quantities, but removing some
silver  from bioavailability.

2. If yes, is this why a manufacturer would prefer to "stabilize" the CS
with a protein first?

JOH  I am unsure here.  Higher concentrations push the particles closer
together.  There are multiple forces acting on the particles, some
repulsive and some attractive.  The balance depends on a bunch of factors,
but if they get close enough together the stick, forming a larger particle.
 When the weight of the particle is too great for the molecular movement of
the water, gravity pulls the particle to to bottom of the vessle;  the
silver has "fallen out of suspension"   Larger particles can not get
through cell walls or small capillaries, and do not have the same
electrical and anti-microbal properties.  Various protiens are used to bind
to the silver and keep it floating.  Some people---especially those who
sell such products---say the additives improve the effectiveness.  Others
say that is a factor in argyria.  I prefer no additive.

3. Why do I read recommendations like, "Take CS in the morning before
brushing the teeth with toothpaste." "Take CS on an empty stomach."  Valid
or not valid?

JOH:  Valid, not a big deal.  When you eat, more HCL is secreted and more
reacts with the silver.  Rinsing your mouth with CS virtually eliminates
gum disease.

4. Would it be advisable to rinse one's mouth out before taking CS or brush
one's teeth without toothpaste, just DW say, before sipping CS?
JOH Sure. Probably tastes better.

5. If silver compounds are formed as one sips CS, would there be certain
kinds of food, toothpaste, etc that would be more contraindicated than
others when you are close to CS sipping time?

JOH:  I take it once a day if I am not sick.  A couple to 4 oz in the am,
with a bit of MSM, before breakfast.  If I feel something bad may be
happening, I take more.  I don't often feel bad.

6. Does diluting the CS in 8 oz of water play a role in this regard? If so,
does it make a significant difference if you dilute the CS with distilled
water vs using a water with more dissolved solids in it?

JOH:  I don't think so.   I don't dilute it except to take a little DW and
heat it to help the MSM dissolve.  I drink only DW, unless it it not
available, so that is not special for the silver.

Comments or opinions, please. -- Carlos LeClair