From: M. G. Devour [mailto:mdev...@eskimo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:11 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL:Re: CS>Some Items Available at an Indian Grocery

Ruth writes:
> I received two blank emails...   this one and one with RE: EXTERNAL in
> the subject line.   I wouldn't think so, but could this have anything
> do with the recent list outage?

Shouldn't have anything to do with that, Ruth!

> If not, what gives?  Anyone know?

Looking at the source code of Steve's message, the following headers
describe how it's formatted...

The actual body of the text was not readable as plain text, but was a
huge block of seemingly random characters. That is at least because of
the 'base64' encoding, but also the UTF-8 and whatever this
hashedpuzzle stuff is are probably adding to the mess... So your mail
program (Outlook Express) is being confused by the elaborate formatting
of Steve's message, I'm afraid.

Now, I'd typically blame Outlook for being not particularly good at
following standards, thanks to Microsoft's bloated ego... but I do
wonder what all that extra encoding is for, Steve?

Be well,

Mike D.

Archives: