Although this information may not be of great moment for a large
number
of list members, I believe it to be of enough potential value to pass it on.
During some earlier research
on undesirable pathogen invasion of common foodstuffs, we determined that
noxious pathogens such as E coli
can survive the applied heat ranges employed to lightly cook some common foods.
  e.g. Scrambled eggs.
We conducted some simple tests to determine the survivability of several
pathogens, but our main interest was centered on E Coli.  Additionally, I had a
pronounced personal interest....due to fact I practically live on eggs, as my
principal protein source.  It was scrambled eggs in which we had the greatest
interest.
             Our methodology utilized both cooked...and uncooked....egg
mediums.  The uncooked specimens were
addressed mainly to determine the effectiveness of low strength level CS (10
ppm) against E Coli.  We quickly
established that 10 ppm CS, at 10 ppm concentration, incorporated directly with
whole eggs and thoroughly mixed (beaten with a whisk for about 10 to 15
seconds).....yielded very acceptable results. To wit:  90% control within 6 to
10 minutes @ 80 degrees F. The mixture ratio was, essentially, 1 level teaspoon
CS per one medium-size egg.
Our results were less favorable in specimens of non-mixed/beaten (whole intact
egg contents)egg cultures.
Interestingly, bacteria control was clearly defined and only present in the
areas/interfaces of "direct exposure" to the CS and the geography of the
presence of the CS was evident upon optical examination.  Also, quite
interesting was the fact that the E Coli culture under the bottom of the egg
(among the unbeaen specimens)was inhibited only around the outside edges of the
egg specimen.
Although this was expected, it was reassuring that our earlier research on the
absorption/penetration affecting the
effectiveness of CS....was clearly in evidence.
               And now....to the central theme of my post-----How to prepare
scrambled eggs----in a manner which mitigates against contamination from a host
of possible pathogens....especially E Coli.
               Using one teaspoon of 5 - 10 ppm CS for each egg, beat
together---briskly---for 12 to 15 seconds and
pour into a skillet at medium heat setting. Stir continually until cooked to
desired order.  Even in those cases where
the eggs were "lightly" scrambled-----  that is, cases where Laser-type
indicators revealed actual temperatures below 120 degrees F. in some
areas....E. Coli control of 95% manifested.
     Not only is this simple procedure desirable and effective, it is
"high-end" culinary practice.  Capable chefs have known...for decades...that
mixing one teaspoon of tap-water with an egg to be scrambled, results in a
superior
dish.
               Some list members may raise the contention that eggs are immune
to E Coli contamination....because the
shell prevents infiltration.  While a high measure of protection does, indeed,
exist in UNWASHED eggs, such is rarely
so when using "store-purchased" eggs.  Almost without exception, ALL eggs
purchased in the supermarket environment,
have been washed with surfactants/detergents prior to packaging.  This
procedure insures the eggshell is at least
semi-permeable and a candidate for transfer/reception of bacterial agents.
Admittedly, SOME eggs are coated with
non-toxic sealants, prior to sale....but only in High-End or specialty
groceries.
               In any event, I consider this little innovation to be of
sufficient value to encourage its adoption.
                       Sincerely,   Brooks Bradley.

Archives: