From: brooks76...@lycos.com <brooks76...@lycos.com>
To: Silver-list@eskimo.com <Silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu Aug 05 19:16:28 2010
Subject: EXTERNAL:CS>Personal-Care Suggestion

         Having to address a number of recurring inquiries relating
to difficulties/inconveniences/frustrations relating to brittle/splitting
finger nails, imposed over recent years....prompted one of us to evaluate
for a simple methodology that would offer some acceptable solution.
         Early-on it was determined that....contrary to common
belief.....special additions of gelatin/collagen to the existing diet do
not---of themselves--- solve the problem.  One can obtain just as effective a
result through eating a piece of chicken----as by consuming gelatin
concentrates.  (This troubled me, especially since I had been operating under
the misconception   [principally based on the very high protein percentage of
gelatin/collagen fractions]  that chitin-based cell structures would respond
most favorably to gelatin supplements.)
          The truth of the matter seems to be that the principal causes of nail
brittleness/splitting is the dehydration effect....especially as we age.
Without boring you with ancillary
details, I simply state that we confirmed that nails dehydrate just as does the
skin (they are both constructed of the same type material).  Additionally, we
determined that using skin conditioning
substances containing urea were the most effective protocol for addressing the
dehydration insult. Products such as Eucerin (not recommending as a specific
purchase)contain acceptable levels of urea.
          We found a little modification to that recommendated by the various
skin care companies....increased the effectiveness of their re-hydration
procedures-----by almost an order of magnitude....in time.  It was, simply,
just through mixing the gel or liquid moisturizing agent (containing urea) at a
concentration of 70% (by volume) with DMSO (full strength) 30% (by volume).
          The overall suppleness improvement of the nails was  quite
dramatic....manifesting within (sometimes) hours.  However, do remember that
fingernails, generally, grow at about about 2 or 3 mm per month.  Therefore,
complete correction via regrowth requires
a one-to-one relationship between the crack length and the time for
regrowth.
           We determined that daily application was the preferred interval.
However, once every 2 days proved acceptable...especially if the subject used
gloves when washing dishes and did not display a fetish for over-frequent
hand-washing.  Additionally, the improved tissue flexibility around the
nail-bed was dramatic (in some cases).
            While not of great health import, I did feel this simple procedure
recommended itself sufficiently to be posted for membership reading.
               Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.
p.s.  No wisecracks accusing me of being a cosmetics hustler.

Archives: