There are 2 ways to get stronger CS using a SilverGen.

They can both be done together.

Put a tight bend at the very top of the electrode strips so they can be further apart, yet still parallel. [this will shorten them a little,in effect] Just bending them just a bit away from each other, out of parallel, will do something too..and limit tip discharge to make the strips last longer. [A slight bend on the lower 1/2 inch or so will do about the same without risking the middle or top going away first ..observe and adjust ]

Re run batches after they have "stabilized" for a day or so.... once the generator will no longer run, you will have almost doubled the strength.

Making the electrodes shorter will also make it stronger, but TOO short will exceed the current density calculations resulting in a greater likelihood that the CS won't be "nice" even at a lower PPM.

 Addressing your primary question:

Look up "oligodynamic action" in almost any scientific tome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodynamic_effect

Note that Silver is not a "heavy metal"..it's a Noble metal.
Copper and Zinc also work quite well, but unlike Silver, are micro-nutrients that can be toxic if over done. There is no known "toxic" dose of Silver that falls into the range of anything reasonable or likely to happen even by accident or ignorance. There are no "Severe Consequences", but there are a lot of misinfo parrots that never dig for the truth.

Some Silver "compounds" can be toxic or even corrosive, but not because of the Silver.

" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass>Brass doorknobs disinfect themselves in about eight hours, while stainless steel and aluminium knobs never do." [ Brass is a copper/zinc alloy. ]

..many hospitals are returning to the use of brass doorknobs.

Curad Brand Silver Bandaids use a silver woven fabric to release silver ions into wounds via a battery effect with an Aluminum woven fabric using body fluids as the electrolyte...a mini CS generator.

Ode