*Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% SILICA*

It shouldn't cause constipation or thirst that I know of or have noticed.
 DE seems to have a balancing effect on IBS issues - so solidifying for
folks with D and bulking and making it easier to go for folks with C.  Of
course make sure to get adequate water each day.

As for how much.  That kind of depends on the person.  They suggest starting
low like 1/2 tsp once or twice a day working up to a tablespoon to a heaping
tablespoon to even more.  I take 2 heaping tablespoons twice a day.  My dogs
each get one level tablespoon twice a day.  You cannot overdose on it but
when you first start sometimes people get some die off/herx symptoms.

Jaxi