Hi Sandee.............clearing out old posts here.

15-20 years ago a CEO for whom I worked wanted to put white noise in the open cubicle space he'd decided to foist upon his case managers. Fearing he would pipe it further, I did a bit of research on the vibrations of the machine he was considering. Don't have ANY research at the moment but here's the crux........... The white noise was to diminish or cancel the sound of other human voices on the phone, etc. Literally it would cause the ear to stop hearing that range of resonance...........like factory workers often have hearing loss in the range of the machine noise to which they are subjected. While the mfgs said there was no permanent hearing loss, I'm certain they didn't test it.......they were just making money on canceling noise.

Fiinding some music to put on earbuds may help. There are some sites that advertize marvelous healing results from their noises but I've never spent the money and apparently I saved nothing from them.

Some links that might be of interest.
http://www.pyroenergen.com/newsletter.htm <http://www.pyroenergen.com/newsletter.htm> had a write up on sound and illness June 2009
Herbalist Review, Issue 2002 #1: Effects of music and sound on human health
http://web.mac.com/len15/MUSICAL_CULT_CONTROL/Leonard_G._Horowitz.html
http://www.metatones.com/

Saralou