Can we get a layman's intro to spectrometers?  Here is my understanding:

Light of various wavelengths is sent through a material.  In this case, a
silver particle of a given diameter will absorb light of a particular
wavelength which is some function of the particle's diameter.  Therefore
only some fraction of light with that wavelength will reach a receiver on
the other side of material.  Light of wavelengths greater than any particle
can absorb, according to this relation, will 100% reach the receiver.  Based
on how much of each wavelength of light reaches the reciever, the plots are
made.

Is this a correct understanding?

~David