Well on a pulsed design there is no decent way to control current other than a
resister to limit current.
I did try to make a current controlled dc pulsed circuit, but again I found it
failed miserably as current control circuitry works best with a relative steady
known input, whereas a pulsing circuit made that very difficult either
implementing that on the input or output, even when I tried to calm it by
smoothing it with a appropriate capacitor.

The 555 will output around 1v below input voltage use ohms law to figure out
what resister you need to achieve .28ma max.

I have tried even played around with seeing Which frequency works best on the
brew and found that in the end it was a humble current controlled circuit that
produced the best results for me.
I use a silver electrode which gives me around 6square inches of area facing
the cathode. I use a lm 317 to control current to 1.5ma and i used to agitate
the water with a motor suspended above the water which drove a plastic
disposable cutlery knife through the water, which I found not usually
necessary. ( the common wisdom it to agitate- but not severely)
I can brew 2.5 litres ( sorry I am British-I am unfamiliar  with imperial
units) to 15ppm or 30us in 24 hours if I use 3ma of current instead, for 1.5ma
it would take two days.

Let us know what you choose to do and how you get on.

With peace, Asif.