Dear Dee, PT,

Others will chime in on this as well, but I'll be the first... <grin>

Since your meter only measures ions in the water, things that dissolve
without becoming ions are not measured. Try adding some sugar to
distilled water. Does the reading go up? (Be sure to thoroughly rinse
the end of your meter afterwards.) Sugar dissolves, but the molecules
stay in one piece, rather than breaking up into ions.

On the other hand, salt, sodium chloride, NaCl, breaks up into Na+ and
Cl- ions, which your meter *will* detect. Silver ions, Ag+ are also
detected, but neutral silver species, Ag(metal) and maybe certain
oxides and other chemical forms, wont be.

The other concern is that even ionic forms of extremely potent toxins
could be present in dangerous amounts that are below the detection
range of your meter, as well. How much plasticizer is too much, eh? I
don't know. Got plutonium oxide? Nasty stuff, and dangerously toxic in
amounts way smaller than a fraction of a ppm, totally apart from it's
radiological properties.

So, while none of this says that you *have* any contaminants in your
water, your meter readings aren't conclusive evidence that you don't --
just that it's probably good enough, all other things being equal and
with reasonable care being taken.

Dave's point about plasticizers is a reasonable one. Distilled water is
really one of the toughest storage problems you'll commonly come
across. You just have to decide for yourself if the plasticizer issue
is important enough to you to justify the additional expense and
effort.

Peace,

Mike D.

> This is my experience also.