Date sent:              Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:17:26 -0800
From:                   "Tom Poast" <po...@prodigy.net>
To:                     <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Subject:                A glimmer of hope

Over the past six months I have been working with a group of terminally
ill people.  I was asked to provide some help when a drug, currently in
Phase II clinical trials, provided not only a stop of the progression
of this disease, but some people were actually regaining function that
they had previously lost as a result of the disease.

The drug is NP001.  It is made from a chemical that many may be
familiar with, sodium chlorite.

The problem with a drug trial is that they exclude people from the
trial. Efforts were made to broaden the acceptance criteria, some
progress was made, but still many were left out of the trial.  While
the main reason was that they lived in an area that was outside the
trial locations, another reason was the progression of the disease in
their bodies.

NP001 is administered via IV injection.  I explained that there is more
than one way to get chlorite into the body and that while it is not as
efficient as IV injection, drinking a solution of chlorite will result
in some chlorite getting into the blood stream.

A group of these people suffering from this disease decided to run an
experiment on themselves.  Efforts have been made to get the medical
community involved and these have not been totally successful, so far.
They have provided support in the form of check ups and blood work
designed to monitor for any adverse effects of participating in the
experiment, but ethics and legal ramifications prevent them from
getting too involved with this.

A research neurologist was kind enough to explain to me that anecdotal
evidence over a period of days to weeks is usually thought of as being
the result of the placebo effect.  However, anecdotal evidence that
continues to show positive results with the same people over a period
of months to years is much harder to dismiss as placebo.  Testing done
that supports the positive effect also helps.  I was also informed that
when the results are spectacular the general bias is to question the
original diagnosis.

This experiment is coming up on six months now.  The positive benefits
seem to be holding on, so I think there is now a glimmer of hope.

Keep in mind that the group involved in this experiment is small.
There are about 35 people that are openly vocal about it, and about
that number again that are quietly participating.  Also, not everyone
is showing improvement.

Not knowing a lot about this disease I asked the group this question.

Chlorite is a free radical oxidizer.  It does nothing to rebuild the
body. What are you going to do to rebuild your bodies after the
progression of this disease is slowed down or stopped?

The answer I received was............. Well, the question was not
answered.

I asked again.

This time I was informed that nothing had ever been successful in
stopping the progression of this disease, so this question had never
come up.

During this holiday time it is very exciting to see this glimmer of
hope permeate the group, and to see some of their focus change to how
to rebuild the body.

The changes are not drastic, but incremental.  No one has jumped out of
a wheel chair and started running down the street.  However, to someone
who has lost function in their hands or arms or legs, suddenly having
some function restored and seeing this restored function continue over
time is remarkable.

On May  2 1939 Lou Gehrig benched himself after playing 2130
consecutive baseball games with the NY Yankees.  His health had
deteriorated to the point where he was no longer able to play well.
Addressing the crowd before a July 4 1939 game, Lou Gehrig told people
that he was the "Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth."  Two years
later on June 2 1941 Lou Gehrig died of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

ALS is the illness that the people involved with this experiment are
suffering from.

This glimmer of hope started with the drug trial that lead to the oral
experiment.  The purpose of the experiment is to help people live long
enough to be able to use the drug.  There appears to be a willingness
of the FDA to speed things along, but the process will most likely take
a few years and people who are diagnosed with ALS have an average
expected life span of three years.  I don't think the FDA can speed
things along that fast.

In loose side to side comparisons it appears that the drug is far more
effective.  The oral solution helps and seems to be able to halt or
radically slow down the progression of ALS, but the results from the
drug trial seem to be better.

Six months is not a year, but it is more than a day or a week.  Making
assumptions on the outcome of a clinical trial in the middle of the
trial is not the best thing to do.  Extrapolating from the observations
of a small group of people is also not the best thing to do.  Still, I
think there is a glimmer of hope.

Chlorite is not a cure for ALS, but it does seem to provide something
that people suffering from ALS have in very limited supply - additional
time.

If you know of someone that is has ALS, I invite you to cautiously
share this glimmer of hope and have them watch the progress of the
NP001 trial.

Tom

Archives: