Jared,

You may want to try using a current limiting circuit with your higher
voltage system.  This will allow the voltage to be large across the
electrodes initially when there is less conductivity in the solution,
and it will limit the current by decreasing the voltage across the
solution as the conductivity increases.  The increase in current
towards the end of the brewing time is what produces the "mud" and
particles in the solution.  Many find that limiting the current to
less than 1mA per square inch of the (positive) electrode area will
minimize this.  Certain stirring protocols can also help.

Good luck in your experiments.

Dan

Archives: