Melly Bag wrote:
A few years back i called LouAnna to find out about the processing of their coconut oil. The lady i spoke to said they import copra and process this using hexane. Copra is most of the time moldy coconut meat that is sun and air dried with no cover, where insects specially flies can swarm around. I wouldn't touch this kind of copra with a ten foot pole. Even if they use high heat there are some kinds of mold and viruses that don't die with heat. They might have changed their way of processing their oil without using hexane. When the lady confirmed they used hexane, i stayed away from it. Expeller pressed oil are not bad. They use high heat 400F to get the oil and then still have their desiccated coconut. This is from fresh shredded coconut meat. Its water content would be very low due to high heat used and so would not go bad easily. We use this for cooking. The one we use is from wildernessfamilynaturals where they send the oil to Netherlands for further processing/filtration. This oil does not impart coconut flavor on food. Melly

When I called them it was only about a year ago, so I guess they no longer use hexane. But I was concerned whether they use copra or not. I think it is probably safe to assume they still do that. When what I have on hand is gone, I'll go back to tropical traditions.
thanks for the info,
sol