On 10/12/2012 7:43 PM, Neville Munn wrote:
I've usually got 3 x 1200ml glass containers in storage. Whilst drawing from one for my daily morning ritual, by the time I get through to the last container it's probly taken a couple of months or more @ approx 30ml a day.

I just wondered about that polarity reversal thing.

Not saying anything negative about auto polarity reversal I hope everyone understands, just wondering about the chemistry if electrodes are never removed during production process? No matter how minute the oxides or whatever develop on electrodes between that polarity switching, it must end up in the solution on reversal when it is automatically 'removed?' from those electrodes?

Why? The Van der waals force is not affected by the current or the polarity. The particles are stuck to the electrodes, and there is no force to overcome the Van der waals force, so they stay stuck to the electrode.

If nothing is observable with that solution over time, then some chemistry action must be occurring during each polarity reversal which has an impact on the Ag+ ions within that solution whilst brewing.
Yes, as I outlined before, the anode produces oxygen (actually an OH) making silver oxide/hydroxide, and spits off silver ions into the water. The cathode produces highly reactive monoatomic hydrogen and attracts silver ions from the water previously produced by the anode. Thus the anode gets coated with silver oxide, the cathode silver powder (actually it is mostly silver metal plated out on the cathode, but appears black because it is very rough texture, that is the cathode goes from being a smooth shiny layer of silver on the surface to a black rough surface). Upon reversal, the silver now on the anode starts producing silver ions to go into the water, and the silver oxide now on the cathode reacts with the monoatomic hydrogen producing silver particles and water. The silver particles remain on the cathode along with any that precipitate out of solution to get converted to silver ions on the next half cycle when it becomes an anode again.

My way of explanation: No matter what one does, there will always be some oxides or whatever develop on the electrodes, this is what we normally remove from the electrodes when we wipe them clean at regular timed intervals on a non auto polarity reversal unit, now because we cannot prevent those oxides etc from developing the aforesaid must go somewhere no matter how minute it might be.

They will be produced. You can either remove them by physical action, like wiping, or chemically, with polarity reversal. In the end they all go into the water as either colloidal silver, or ionic silver, which is what we are trying to produce if you use polarity reversal.
If that doesn't have some effect on the Ag+ ions in solution encouraging larger particles as the solution stabilises over time, or result in a thin film of silver on the surface, then I'm just curious to understand the chemistry behind it?

I explained the chemistry again in the above.

Simple Example: Let's say it takes 1 1/2 hours to brew a solution to an individuals desired ppm, now if those electrodes were not to be removed for that length of time there would be a considerable amount of oxides or whatever appear on that electrode as the deposition of silver into the water increases to desired ppm level. On an auto polarity reversal unit those electrodes are not 'physically' removed to be cleaned, so whatever appears {not visible to naked eye perhaps} on the electrode must be removed and returned to the water upon each reversal of polarity?

It is not "REMOVED", it is converted, back to silver. At some point it, being pure silver (the same as the virgin electrode) becomes either ionic or colloidal silver, what we are trying to make.
If that doesn't result in *some?* settling or sediment, or produce a fine layer of silver on the surface of the solution becoming evident over time in storage, then some chemistry must be taking place with those Ag+ ions already in existence in that solution, combined with those oxides whilst in the brewing process? Those Ag+ ions increase exponentially over brewing time until desired ppm level is attained. If that minute amount of oxides or whatever are introduced into the water at each polarity reversal, then why does that not promote larger particles for gravity to pull out or a fine silver layer to appear on the surface after being in storage for any length of time, I'm just curious as to know why?
What is produced is CS and ionic silver. That some of the silver may have gone through a cycle of being an oxide then reduced again is irrelevant, in the end it will get spit out as a silver ion, which then may either combine with other silver ions producing a colloidal particle, or remain an ion, increasing the ionic portion of the silver in the water. The action is the same whether we are talking about a silver particle that is sitting on the anode from reducing silver oxide from the previous half cycle, or the virgin silver of the electrode itself.

Marshall

Perhaps one needs a very good grounding in chemistry to understand what's going on? I certainly haven't got that!

Not sure if anyone sees where I'm going with this in my non chemistry explanations? <g>.

N.