On 10/25/2012 11:01 PM, David AuBuchon wrote:
I hope I am not violating some basic law(s) of electrochemistry here...I'll give myself a 50% chance of someone correcting me:

What if you divided the cell with a material that is nonconducting, does not react with silver ions, and manages to obstruct the flow of current between the electrodes completely. Then you punched a small hole in the material. Current could pass through that hole. If that hole could be moved around in the plane of that sheet of material, it could confound the silver ions trying to migrate towards that hole, as they rarely succeed in passing through it before it has moved to somewhere else. Could this allow an indefinite amount of silver ions to get into solution?

I guess it is like creating an artificial sense of "infinite distance" between electrodes without there ever being such a thing.

Another concept is to literally create a large distance between electrodes. Could this not also be helpful in reaching higher concentrations of silver ions? A way to do this is to create some kind of a maze for the ion to have to travel through.

The problem is that the ions will over a short time diffuse so that they are even throughout the solution due to diffusion. This this would accomplish nothing. However I have heard of people socking the electrode, apparently the ions can have a hard time getting through the cloth to the other electrode. If you put a osmosis barrier in there, that just might do what you are wanting.

Marshall

David