Hello Kirsteen,

IF disaster strikes, even your old bottled tap water for the toilet will be better than any new tap water that could be available.

I bought an Aquarain several years ago http://www.aquarain.com/ It's made in the USA (or at least enough is to claim that). There are a few slight differences between the Aquarain and the Berkey but they do not have to be significant. As nearly as I can tell, price ,no way to hook up a fluoride filter, and the size of the stem that goes from the filter into the clean tank.

The Berkey fluoride filter works for 6000 gallons and may be worth the money. It may also be adapted to the AquaRain; after I saw the price I didn't look at it. I put some Borax in the to-be-filtered water and take some in my coffee daily to counter Fl.

The size of the stem IS important but not a purchase problem because if you want to use a Black Berkey (the best from what I've read) ceramic filter you just take it to the hardware store and buy 4 wing nuts that fit the stem.

If I were doing it again, I wouldn't even buy the Aqua Rain. It is less than the Berkey but money is tight. Since my research (14 yrs agi) there are marvelous youtubes and other sites showing you have to piece together materials to make a water filter like either the Berkey or the Aqua Rain at considerably less expense. Once you know what the significant parts are and how they work, your imagination's the limit. Spend money on the best filter you can buy. If you're in a hurry, make that filters. The more ceramic cones you use in a filter, the faster the water flows.

IF you know that your water needs purified (river, roof, mud puddle water) and are concerned about the viability of the filter, add a slosh of iodine or bleach or peroxide to the filtration chamber. It'll kill anything going thru the filter. If I put food coloring in the top, the water in the bottom comes thru' clear--kinda cool. You want a filter that will remove microorganisms.

I found one site that had a neat-looking comparison of all the ceramic filter units but the data did not fit my experience so I chalked it up to sales fluff.

FWIW  Saralou

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/diy-ceramic-water-filters-zwfz1207zmat.aspx
http://www.aquatechnology.net/ceramicfiltration.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5XEoc2ocds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfcuqQ76qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSyXvtvlDE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3q-GODhrFA&feature=related Explains well. However, filter is for potable water unless you add a 3rd bucket with a finer filter.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfLbeXDav8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21d_YXiOOU&feature=related
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter
http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-British-Berkefeld-Ceramic-Filters/product-reviews/B002RZRJHI
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-354
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/pats-product-review-just-water-brand-ceramic-drip-filter-system.html
http://kopernik.info/en-us/technology/water-filter
http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html
http://www.bigberkey.com/

     A PERFORMANCE STUDY OF CERAMIC /CANDLE FILTERS/ IN *...*

<http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/31120/61162474.pdf>dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/31120/61162474.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDm28tC1XyE
http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/candles.htm