In a message dated 11/23/2012 11:52:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mdud...@king-cart.com writes:

Dirt is  a catchall for anything pretty well underfoot that is not solid
like rock or a  liquid.  I am sure you eat "dirt" all the time whether you
realize it or  not.  Ever take kaopectate?  That has kaolin in it, which is a
clay.  Bentonite are very fine particles of glass with volcanic source.  Many
 foods and medicines contain a fine silica as a filler or to reduce
clumping,  which is nothing more than fine particles of glass.  Common salt is
"dirt" from the salt flats.  Calcium carbonate is ground up limestone,  which
is added to some foods, used in medicines, and taken as a calcium
supplement.  And of course baking soda is also a mined  "dirt" known  as
nahcolite
before mining.  Dolomite which is often used for magnesium  for
supplementation, and is of course in the calcium magnesium supplement with  the
same name
comes from sedimentary beds.  These are but a few examples  of various
"earths" which are often eaten.

Marshall