Marshall wrote

> This goes along with my thinking that it would be a great way to test
CS.
> But I found that CS tends to stabilize H2O2 instead.  Also I found
that if
> you put silver metal into concentrated nitric acid, the reaction will
be
> swift producing silver nitrate.  But if you mix nitric acid with CS
there is
> virtually no reaction unless you bring the temperature up to almost
boiling.

When you react silver with nitric acid the Ag is oxidised and replaces
the H+ in the acid, resulting in (Ag+ and NO3- siver nitrate) and H
hydrogen. The hydrogen is not released as gas as one might expect but
reacts with a further quantity of the nitric acid, forming water and an
oxide of nitrogen.

Metalic silver and charged colloids of silver (groups of silver ions)
are not the same. Silver ions are already oxidised (lost an electron,
Ag+). Hydrogen ions (H+) cannot further oxidise Ag+, so no reaction
takes place.

> My take on this is that the reaction is mediated by a galvnaic current
flow
> from impurities in the silver metal.  IE. copper and silver have
different
> potentials, so if there are any copper (or other impurity) atoms in a
piece
> of silver, the "reactions" will take place, but the CS has so few
atoms of
> copper or other impurities in it the majority of particles are pure
silver,
> and thus do not react.
>
> Marshall

Not so. Copper and other impurities may or may not react with nitric
acid, but this will not affect the reaction with metallic silver, if
there is enough nitric acid remaining after any other reactions. The
silver in CS is not metallic silver and this is why the reaction is
different.

Ivan.