I myself prefer lists, I belong to yahoo groups, and gardenweb.   I can see the
current topics and when I click on them I can also see the entire thread easily
online, I don't have emails clogging up my email program and having to delete
them.  All of that doesn't happen when I go to an online forum, and search
function is right there as well which I use a lot, I don't have to go to an
archive website, and I tried a search there that had no results when I knew
they should be there.(?)   The thing I DON'T like about lists is if they are
private or put onto google.     On one hand I can google topics like related to
plants and posts on gardenweb will come up, but in the alternate health field
it can be a liability to speak out on a topic not accepted by the
establishment, so to me privacy is a big issue, as far as my being on record
for alternative health.   My former email account that downloaded into my
computer got overwhelmed with junk mail so we
 switched to internet email which has excellent filters but the digest form was
hard to post to.  Individual emails don't have that problem but then I have to
delete them individually too.

-Nancy