There are a lot of things contributing to the problems with bees. A mite named varroa was introduced a couple of decades ago, and decimated the bee populations until the feral and untreated colonies learned to deal with them. In the mean time commercial beekeepers used miticides to control them, the consequences of using an insecticide inside a beehive are not too difficult to contemplate. In addition antibiotics are often feed as well. Then you have the fungicides being applied to crops, and the pesticides, which include the neonicatoids. Although each alone can cause problems, a mixture of 2 or more of them is much worse than any one alone. Then on top of that it has been found that natural substances in nectar help the bees immune system so not only are antibiotics not needed when they are eating honey, but the bee can handle higher concentrations of the other poisons as they detoxify. So on top of all this you have beekeepers which are feeding their bees sugar syrup, with none of these substances in them, which makes them even sicker and unable to detox. The the really big commercial guys are using HF corn syrup to feed, and that over time, especially at elevated temperatures forms hydroxymethylfurfural a deadly toxin for bees.

On the other hand you have the natural beekeepers. The do not treat, and never feed anything but honey if needed. Some still experience losses to the pesticides if their location is near fields of crops which are treated, or GMO engineered to be poisonous but other than that the treatment free beekeepers are seeing from 0 to maybe 10% yearly losses, which the commercial and those that are treating their bees and feeding sugar syrup are seeing from 30 to 70% losses.

I am in the treatment free group myself.

Marshall