I, too, bought a big bag of Nigari and used it up just in time for
Fukushima. I would inquire of the supplier where in Japan it came from.
If the production site is way the heck west and south of Tokyo, I'd be
tempted to believe it would be safe, but radioactive contamination has
been spread far further in Japan than officials have been willing to
admit. The numerous youtube videos of folks with geiger counters finding
hotspots on city streets, playgrounds, backyards and roofs attest to
this.

If we depend upon the prevailing winds and currents to be from west to
east and south to north in general, then it may be reasonable to trust
stuff from the Chūgoku, Shikoku and Kyūshū regions.

If I understand correctly, nigari is derived from sea water and the
production process includes sun-drying in the open air. If the water is
from the east coast anywhere from Tokyo and north, I'd definitely worry.
And all it would take to contaminate areas to the southwest would be an
east or northeast wind to blow for a day or two, just about anywhere in
the islands.

I'd ask the supplier to tell me exactly where the stuff is produced, and
then judge from a map if it's far enough away.

Not a happy situation at all.

Be well,

Mike D.