*Sterling silver* is an alloy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy> of silver <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver> containing 92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass of other metals, usually copper <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper>. The sterling silver standard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_standards> has a minimum millesimal fineness <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millesimal_fineness> of 925.

/Fine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millesimal_fineness> silver/, for example 99.9% pure silver, is generally too soft for producing functional objects; therefore, the silver is usually alloyed with copper to give it strength while preserving the ductility <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductility> and beauty of the precious metal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal>. Other metals can replace the copper, usually with the intention of improving various properties of the basic sterling alloy such as reducing casting porosity <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porosity>, eliminating firescale <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firescale>, and increasing resistance to tarnish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnish>.These replacement metals include germanium <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanium>, zinc <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc> and platinum <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum>
 There is no nickle in sterling

"Nickle Silver" on the other hand, has no silver in it.
*Nickel silver*, *German silver*,is a copper <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper> alloy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy> with nickel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel> and often zinc <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc>. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc.^[6] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver#cite_note-6> Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver> unless plated.

Ode