When I have time I may read the studies, I have only seen the interviews by
the researchers. Here is a google translation of it:

"Two years ago, New Technology report on the fears surrounding the
nanoparticles of silver can contribute to more disease-causing bacteria
become resistant to antibiotics. Now, reports researchers at Lund
University that nanosilver affect stem cells that give rise to neurons in
the brain and retina.

The studies were partly on human cells in culture, and cell models of the
retina in mice. The cells were exposed to low doses of nanoparticles of
silver and gold. The particles had a diameter of 20 and 80 nanometers
(billionths of a meter). It is far less than the size of a cell and allows
them to slip into our cells which are liable to affect them biologically.

The research results show that cell damage is primarily caused by silver
ions released from the nanoparticles. That silver nanoparticles, or
nanosilver as it is often called, is more harmful than other silver depends
on ytförstoringseffekten of nanomaterials. A larger effective surface
releases more silver ions and exhibits greater toxicity, it is pointed out
in a press release.

- Our results are indeed alarming, says Fredrik Johansson at Lund
University.

Silver nanoparticles are mainly used as anti-bacterial coating in many
products. These include, for example, refrigerators, washing machines,
sports clothing and shoes. The reason is that the silver ions released from
the silver is bactericidal. Silver ions are also present in products in
alternative medicine, so-called colloidal silver. The studies also show
that the gold particles can be harmful."

Now my opinion is that one still has to be careful before jumping into any
firm conclusion. See how the study was done, doses and also compare with
other studies that support that it is not harmful.

/André