Yes, distilled water is the trick. The silver will form compounds with minerals
in the water, which may reduce effectiveness as well as likely greatly
increasing the risk of argia (blue tinged skin, usually starting with the moons
of the nails). So you want to get the minerals out first.

Our water comes from a remote (as in, there’s nothing on it above us) mountain
creek that is mostly fed by a spring in winter. It’s only considered mildly
hard water and is great for drinking, but we distill it (use and recommend Mini
Classic CT if it fits the budget and you want to distill your own) before
making CS. In fact, distilled once it just barely met the low conductivity
specs suggested by SilverGen. We may try distilling it twice in the future to
bring that down further, though our CS has turned out great—some clear and some
with a slight yellow tinge, estimated around 20 ppm based on conductivity
change from distilled water before turning it into CS.

Making your own is definitely the way to go; it’s crazy expensive to buy, but
barely more expensive than water to make. We had used it as a disinfectant
spray, gargle, etc, but never drank much until recently. Gargling/swishing with
it a few times a day for a day or two seems to take care of any toothe/gum
issues that start to hurt. We’ve drank up to 1 cup per day over the last bit
after getting fed up with a flu going around here that just didn’t want to let
got. Wish we’d done so sooner, as everyone felt better quickly. I’m guessing it
is best to drink it on an empty stomach, which is what we aimed to do.

Best regards,
Walter