You can get a TDS meter on line for as little as $10. I bought one
and use it to check distilled water before I start a batch and then
ppm when done.
I'm new to this, but from what I've read, maintaining a constant
current is better than a constant voltage. I've used 24, 18 and 12
volt sources the only difference noted was the length of time for
the process to complete. I'm not ready to invest in a constant
current generator yet. Deposits and discoloration of the two anodes
(Wires) is normal, just clean well after use. From what I see on the
forum, the brown stuff is agglomeration. I get it too; it won't go thru
the coffee filter. Hope this helps.
Opa

Sent from my iPad