I don't know anything about that use, but a quick search indicates that it is not used for general filtration, but can be added to a filter to either raise the pH of the water, or to remove manganese from well water. It is also used as a coagulent and stabilizer to prevent precipitation of calcium carbonate from treated water. For sewage it is used in the liquid part where the water moves through it, and it acts as a substrate for bacteria to live on that purify the water.

Marshall